1. Mountains and fjordsExplore the mountains and fjords of Norway – A break from everyday life with local food, and exciting activities in the countryside. Enjoy the landscape and culture in the heart of Norway
- Scenic landscape
- Culture and history
- Duration: 7 days, 6 nights
- View the Lake Mjøsa
- Experience medival Hamar at Domkirkeodden. Here lies the ruins of the old Hamar Cathedral. The Norwegian Railway Museum – a journey worth! The museum have modern, indoor exhibitions a large museum park featuring various railway buildings and track systems.
- Dale-Gudbrands gard – this hotel sit among some of the regions most culturally and historically significant land, dating back 1300 years.
- A walk along the pilgrim route and visit the Ringebu Stave Church
- Explore the Jotunheimen National Park
- Enjoy the senic landscape while travelling with the Rauma Railway, one of the worlds most beautiful train rides.
- Visit Åndalsnes town and the dramatic troll wall, Trollveggen.
- Experience Trollstigen and Valdresflye National tourist routes and the Geiranger-fjord
- Beitostølen – the friendly mountain village
Day 1On this first day you will travel from your country to Norway and arrive in Oslo. In Oslo, you will visit a variety for attractions, e.g. the Vigeland sculpture park, the parliament (Stortinget), the royal palace, Aker Brygge Wharf and the main street Karl Johan.
Day 2Departure from Oslo to Hamar. On your way out of Oslo to Hamar you will enjoy the views of the hills and fields of inland Norway.At Hamar we’ll explore medival Hamar at the Domkirkeodden, one of the most beautiful museum (Format Magazine) and /or the Norwegian Railway Museum. You will get an insight to the growth of Norwegian communities during the 1800s and 1900s. The exhibition links railway history to the development of new technology. Lunch at Rudshøgda before travelling to Hundorp and Vinstra. There is also an option to visit the Atlungstad Destillery and have lunch here. At Hundorp we will stop at Dale-Gudbrands gard, where you have the opportunity to get to know the story of this historic site. This hotel sits among some of the region’s most culturally and historically significant land. Dating back 1300 years, and originally known as Hundorp Farm, this was the centre of power for a very long time. Dinner and overnight stay at Peer Gynt Spiseri and hotel, Vinstra.
Day 3This morning we will walk along the Pilegrimsleden from Fåvang to Ringebu including visit to the Ringebu Stave Church (with guide). ”I bear witness to mighty mountains and valleys,” writes Aasmund Olavsson Vinje in Ferdaminne. You may also express this sentiment after having crossed through this varied stretch of countryside. Some asphalted roads, but mostly gravel roads. On this stretch of the Pilegrim path, you can experience the Rolla nature reserve with its unique fauna, the village of Fåvang, and Kvitfjell, which was an Olympic arena in 1994. Among the other attractions in the area, are mammoth bones and Den Høie Bro – a bridge with an 18- meter drop down to the water below. And not least of all, Høgkleiva, where you can see “farther than far”. The dramaturgy of the local environment includes a cairn site, a hillfort, an ancient Norse embankment and one of the largest stave churches in Norway. Visit to Ringebu stave church. Lunch at Dale-Gudbrands gard. Time to relax and enjoy the surrounding at Dale-Gudbrands gard. This hotel sits among some of the region’s most culturally and historically significant land. Dating back 1300 years, and originally known as Hundorp Farm, this was the centre of power for a very long time. Possibility for a short trip to Rondane National Park before dinner on return to the hotel. Dinner and overnight stay at Peer Gynt Spiseri and hotel, Vinstra.
Day 4Departure from Peer Gynt hotell og Spiseri to Dombås for a senic travel on the Rauma Railway from Dombås to Åndalsnes. Rauma Railway from Dombås to Åndalsnes. The Rauma Railway running between Åndalsnes and Dombås is known as one of Norway’s wildest and most beautiful train journeys. The tour takes you through the beautiful Romsdalen to famous natural attractions like the Trollveggen cliff face and the Kylling bridge. The whole trip takes 1 hour and 40 minutes. Lunch in Åndalsnes. Explore Åndalsnes on your own. Before starting the journey to Trollstigen, we will stop by the Trollveggen Visitor centre to see the famous Troll Wall in Romsdalen. Then we will continue by bus to Trollstigen plateau. Photostop and great views. Overnight stay possibly Valldal or Geiranger for the night. Enjoy this beautiful place. Dinner and overnight stay.
Day 5From Valldal in the morning. Photostop on our way down to Geiranger. In Geiranger it is possible to go in an organised sightseeing tour on the fjord, or just relax and enjoy this beautiful fjord village for a while. There will also be a stop at Dalsnibba/ Geiranger skywalk before driving to Skjåk for lunch at Skeid Kro. Here you will get a taste of local produce. After lunch you will drive from Skjåk to Beitostølen. Possibly a short stop in the national park village Lom, to see the Lom stave church or visit the norwegian mountain centre. Drive through the mountains over Valdresflye, where the road floats above the treeline. Several good options for photostops. Arrival at Beitostølen. Check in at hotel. Sightseeing in Beitostølen; a programme rich of impressions. You may walk up the alpine slopes to get the great views of Beitostølen and the surroundings. We may see the top of the mountain Bitihorn from here. It is possible to use the chairlift instead of walking up and down the hill. Shopping and time on your own. Dinner and overnight stay.
Day 6Boat excursion lake Bygdin. Departure from the hotel by coach to Bygdin, continue by passenger boat across the hill stretch of lake Bygdin to Eidsbugarden. Enjoy the sight of the Jotunheimen National Park with panoramas of high peaks and glaciers. Lunch pack. Return by coach along lake Vangsmjøsa. Visit a Stave Church and the oldest house in Valdres. Return over the Slettefjell pass to Beitostølen. In the afternoon you have time on your own to relax, explore Beitostløen village and enjoy the fantastic views from the hotel. Dinner in the hotel in the evening.
Day 7Are you ready to head back home? On the final day of the trip, we travel by bus to Oslo Airport before we say goodbye, and hopefully: “see you soon”.
- Oslo – Hamar 1,5 hours
- Hamar – Rudshøgda 0,5 hour
- Rudshøgda – Hundorp 1,5 hours
- Hundorp – Dombås 1,5 hours
- Dombås – Åndalsnes 1 hour and 40 minutes by train
- Åndalsnes – Trollstigen 30 minutes
- Trollstigen – Valldal 1 hour
- Valldal – Geiranger (incl. ferry) 1,5 hours
- Geiranger – Bismo 1,5 hours
- Bismo – Lom 0,5 hours
- Lom – Beitostølen 2 hours
- Beitostølen – Oslo-Gardermoen Airport 3,5 hours
Posted by Bente S. Kvamme