3. The secrets in the heart of NorwayExplore the hidden treasures off the beaten track in the heart of Norway. Enjoy the landscape and culture in the heart of Norway. The hidden treasures, attractions and experiences off the beaten track-
- Mountains, lakes and hills
- Scenic landscape
- Culture and history
- Local produce
- Duration: 5 days, 4 nights
- Beitostølen – the friendly mountain village
- Explore the Jotunheimen National Park and Rondane National Parks
- Experience Valdresflye National tourist route
- Stave churches – a superb cultural experience
- Bjørnsonvegen and Peer Gynt vegen
- Local produce
- Lillehammer, a nice town in the heart of Norway
- Rauma Railway
- Viewpoint Snøhetta
Day 1On the first day of the trip, you will travel from your home country to Norway. The final destination of the day, is Beitostølen. A stunning mountain village in the heart of Norway.
Day 2Explore the Jotunheimen National park. Enjoy village life, local products and local handcrafts. Spending time at Beitostølen at your own pace, enjoying village life. Sightseeing in Beitostølen; a program rich of impressions. You may walk up the alpine slopes to get the great views of Beitostølen and the surroundings. We may see the top of the mountain Bitihorn from here. It is possible to use the chairlift instead of walking up and down the hill. You can also try the “Ola-bil”, driving down the local raceway. Alternatively; excursion to explore the Jotunheimen mountains. Departure from the hotel by coach to Bygdin, continue by passenger boat across the hill stretch of Lake Bygdin to Eidsbugarden. Enjoy the sight of the Jotunheimen National Park with panoramas of high peaks and glaciers. Lunch pack. Return by coach along Lake Vangsmjøsa. Visit a Stave Church and the oldest house in Valdres. Return over the Slettefjell pass to Beitostølen.
Day 3After enjoying your breakfast to the scenic landscape, we will start todays journey across the Valdresflye national tourist route. There are great views to the Jotunheimen National park. Photo stops. We might be lucky and get a glimpse of the reindeers. We will continue to Lom, the national park village. Here we will make a stop and you have the opportunity to explore the village on your own. Lunch in Bismo, Skjåk at Skeid Kro. We drive through Ottadalen valley on our way to Rondane National park and Vinstra. An option is to drive through the Heidal Valley with its picturesque landscape, old farms and local produce. In the afternoon there will be a visit to the Ringebu Stave Church or we will drive up the mountains to get good views of the Rondane national park. You will have time to go for a walk, sit down and enjoy the nature and fresh air, or have a little snack. Dinner and overnight stay at Peer Gynt Hotell og Spiseri.
Day 4In Gudbrandsdalen. There are several options for a day excursion:
- The hidden treasures/ off the beaten track. From Vinstra to Gålå along the Peer Gynt Road and the Bjørnson road through Espedalen. Visit Aulestad; the writer Bjørnstjerne Bjørnsons home. Lunch. On return to Vinstra, a stop at Ringebu to explore the nice village and get a taste of local produce at Anni’s.
- Viewpoint Snøhetta. A day out to visit the beautiful Dovrefjell Sunndalfjella national park and make a short walk to the Viewpoint Snøhetta. If we are lucky we might get a glimpse of the musk oxes. Lunch at Hjerkinnhus hotell. A stop in the mountain village Dombås on return.
- A walk along the pilgrimage path from Fåvang to Ringebu.
- Raumabanen, Northern Europes most scenic rail journey from Dombås to Åndalsnes. You may explore Åndalsnes, the fjord and the Norwegian Mountaineering Centre before returning to Dombås.
Day 5Explore quiet city life, museums, and enjoy a stop at a local distillery. Before heading home, we make a stop in Hamar to visit medival Hamar at the Domkirkeodden, one of the most beautiful museums in the world (Format Magazine) and/or the Norwegian Railway Museum. Here you will get an insight to the growth of Norwegian communities during the 1800s and 1900s. The exhibition links railway history to the development of new technology. There is also a possibility to stop at Atlungstad Distillery for a guided tour. Lunch will be served at Atlungstad Distillery. Are you ready to head back home? On the final day of the trip, we travel by bus to Oslo Airport before we say goodbye, or hopefully: “see you soon”.
- Oslo – Beitostølen 3,5 hours
- Beitostølen – Skjåk 2 hours
- Skjåk – Vinstra 2 hours
- Vinstra – Oslo Airport 3 hours
Posted by Bente S. Kvamme